Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mid-Summer update

Well, things have been happening.

I've kinda had my hands too full to pound on a keyboard for a while, but after shipping the belt that appears in the post below, I've found a little slack.

New projects? Boy howdy! and how!

Let's see, I did manage to get the Maritime Legacies brand started with the Alma tee shirt, which is available online at my site, but also on Fisherman's Wharf at the Maritime Museum book store on the Hyde St. pier.
Other ideas involve more graphics derived from the engineering drawings of Alma and the other vessels plastered on things like post cards and coffee mugs.

Aside from the souvenir merc, I have been working in the shop as well.

I've had some luck soaking knife sheaths in molten bees wax, and hope to offer that as an option on my website soon.

I've also gotten a hold of some of those British 'hacking knives' which are a bit smaller than the Osborne 337 and Jack's Hatchet, I just haven't had the chance to upgrade the handle on one or put them up on the site.

I'm also playing around with casting marlin spikes, eventually out of a tough bronze alloy. This a longer term project that will go through many variations and lots of feedback from any and all of the old salts I know.

Let's see anything else? Oh yeah, I plan on offering complete knife rigs made with uniquely modified knives. Apparently, there is a desire for a less modern appearing rig that will fit in with the 'funnies' tall ship sailors are sometimes called upon to wear, so I have some skinners waiting to have their points ground down into a sheep's-foot and be paired off with a spike in a fully hand built sheath with seine twine lanyards. Slap it on your belt, and you're ready to go aloft.

I think that's it for now, I'll post pics when I can get to it.



Foremast Jack's Facebook profile

No comments:

Post a Comment